These are the guidelines which are read before every bereavement support group and all attendees are expected to follow these guidelines:
Support Group Guidelines
- Confidentiality is essential, we expect that each member will respect and maintain the confidentiality of the group. What is said in the group is not to be repeated or discussed at any other time or place.
- We are here to share our feelings and experiences; we try not to give advice.
- We try to accept people just as they are and we avoid making judgements.
- We try to give everyone the opportunity to share
- We will not use offensive language although we do acknowledge that each member may experience a range of emotions including anger
- We have the right to speak, and the right to remain silent as silence can be healing.
- We give supportive attention to the person who is speaking and avoid side conversations
- We do not discuss the group members when they are not present
- In the meeting there will be laughter and there will be tears – and both are okay